Friday, March 19, 2010

Helen Yeller, burnt oats, & nachos?!?

Ok, I am a procrastinator.
Time to play catch up ....

Here is a pic of our newest addition to the farm, her name is Helen (as in Helen Yeller). Her previous owner named her & I thought it was so funny we kept it.
I found her on Craig's List & drove over 100 miles round trip to check her out. The price was so reasonable I couldn't pass up the opportunity to add another milker to our herd.
After driving so far I told my son (he's the one in the pic), "You know we are going to end up taking her home after coming all this way."
I'm glad we did, she is such a sweetheart.
She fit nicely in the backseat of my Toyota Yaris (yes, you heard right, lol) & was so well behaved all the way home.
She has been a joy to have around, though she is dry & not producing milk anymore. We will be breeding her this Fall in order to have milk & babies next Spring.
She is our first Nubian/Alpine, so she is a Nupine.

On other notes, I still don't have the garden started, ugh. But, I do have sproutlings I have started indoors & must get in the ground SOON.

My mom & I visited an organic garden market last weekend, & made some new friends. They will be selling our extra eggs there, and all proceeds go to charity. Check out their blog: http://justicegardenmarket.blogspot.com.

Our Farmgirl's Chapter met & decided to sew a quilt & sell it for charity.

My husband & youngest son went fishing for the week of Spring Break, so it will be nice to have fresh fish!

Oh Darn!!! I just realized my pan of oats was burning on the stove while I'm blogging. Guess it's a peanut butter bagel for breakfast again. (hope I can salvage my pan, lol)

St. Patrick's Day was uneventful. It happened to fall on a Wednesday this year, which is a church night for us. They serve dinner before Bible study, but corned beef & cabbage was out-voted, so nachos it was. I think this was the first time in years we didn't have the traditional meal, maybe I will make it this weekend.

Off to milk!

Toodles!

3 comments:

  1. It is about time you updated this blog. I was getting tired of reading the last one over and over and over again. LOL. You are such a good writer I wish you tell us more about the farm. Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very Nice!! I wish I could express myself as well as you do.
    Jim Martin (I went to H.S. with your mother)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Jim! I didn't think anyone even knew I was here! lol

    ReplyDelete