Monday, March 22, 2010

From Stud to Dud


Poor infertile boy.
This is our Ameraucana rooster who has had around 30 hens all to himself for the last couple of months & can't seem to fertilize any eggs.
The hens have been sitting faithfully, poor girls, but to no avail. I have candled the eggs on several occasions only to find plain old eggs, no babies developing.
So, he has gone from "Stud" to "Dud" status. (I googled it to see if there was any advice, apparently not many people have discussed this topic.)
I shall have to bring "Old Blue" back in, to do the job properly, I suppose.
Old Blue is our Blue Andalusian rooster who has been sequestered in the rabbit hutch until the county fair, so his feathers would be in show condition.
Such a shame too, I was hoping for more color in our flock. Old Blue has fathered so many of our hens before that half our flock is already grey. The Ameraucana's also lay blue-green eggs & I was hoping for more hens to lay those pretty gems.
What's a farmer to do? lol

On another note, my mom is starting a new radio show called "Blondie & Red".
(She is "The Crazy Hat Lady" http://barbaracblog.blogspot.com.)
Today will be our first attempt at going "on air". But, since we are still trying to figure it all out, it may end up being an entire hour of nothing, lol.
Mom wants to talk about whatever pops into our heads, which a lot of times is quite comical. Since I am always on the go, I will be the roving reporter.
And, since mom says I "will talk to anyone", I will also be interviewing people as I go about my day. (I like to think I have a gift for gab, but also a God-given talent for being able to connect with people.)
As of now, we will be on air every Monday from 11am to 12pm.
My husband doesn't know about this yet, or the fact that I'm a blogger.
Soon I will have to let the cat out of the bag.

Toodles!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the plug. Someday when we are famous, I will take you to Provance. Love you. So sorry about the Dud Rooster, Maybe you should rename him Dude.

    ReplyDelete