Friday, January 29, 2010

Rain, rain, go away, come again another day!

Here in AZ we really don't get alot of rain, so when we do receive some precipitation it's wonderful. Except, it either comes down in droves & washes everything away, like cars, trees, etc. (flash floods), or it sprinkles.
It has been sprinkling off & on for a couple weeks now & I am officially tired of it.

I really must go & track down another bale of straw for the critters again. It seems everyone is running low on straw as of late. My neighbors are out (we usually buy surplus supplies from each other in a pinch), and most of the feed stores are out too. I did find one that still had a few bales left last week (sure wish I had bought more than one bale), even though I dislike shopping there since they are often very RUDE to their customers. But, priorities, priorities.

The animals are tired of the rain too, I'm sure. Az dirt doesn't soak up the rain like other places, so we have muck & mire everywhere on the farm. Yuck.
The goats are managing to stay fairly mud-free, due to the fact that they are skilled hay wasters & are tromping around on their fodder. But the horse is muddy & wet, and most likely a little cold. I wish I had a barn!!

Ah....a barn. I love the idea of having a barn to shelter the animals in when the weather is unbearable. Well, mainly in the fall & winter.
But that is my dream for right now. To someday move to a place where they have 4 distinct seasons, a possibility of having a white Christmas, 5-10 acres of farm & pasture, an old farm house (hopefully not too run down), and....a BARN! A big beautiful old barn that smells of hay & straw, with a loft & stalls. Maybe someday, God willing.

I remember when I was younger, my dreams were different. I wanted to be a supermodel or a famous movie star.
Now, at 38, my dreams have changed. All I want now is to be warm & dry (in a barn) with my family (my hubby, our boys, & my animals of course) & know that God is working in our lives (in a barn). Lol
I guess I'm being selfish since I am putting my dreams before what God wants for us, but I can dream can't I? If I never achieve my dream, that's ok too. I have told God that I don't want a mansion when I get to Heaven, I want a big red barn! With all my animals there.

So, meanwhile back at the ranch.....I have to bundle up & get started on the farm chores, I'm already running late.
The "girls" have to be milked. The goats, horse, chickens, ducks & turkey have to be fed & watered. And eggs need to be gathered.
I have customers coming to buy eggs today & pick up their milk from the goats they lease from me. Not to mention I gotta get the boys off to school.
Whew! I'm already tired just thinking about it! But, I really do enjoy it. And, it's a wonderful feeling to be so close to your food source & to know it's healthier for you than the stuff at the store.

Toodles!

No comments:

Post a Comment